SUBJECT: Peterson Air & Space Museum Volunteers Staff Meeting, 28 Sep 07
ATTENDEES: Gail Whalen, GS USAF, Curator, Jeff Nash, GS USAF, Deputy Curator, Ed Weaver, CMSgt USAF (Ret); Lt Col John Cawood, USAF (Ret), Ernie Newman, CMSgt, USAF (Ret), Erv Smalley, SMSgt USAF (Ret), John Grier, MSgt USAF (Ret); Terry Galbreath, Major USAF (Ret); Jane Newman, GS USAF (Ret), Tony Roman, MSgt, USAF (Ret), Danny O’Connell, CMSgt USAF (ret), Jim Swalley, Lt USN (Ret), Ann Foster, Capt USAF (Ret), Victoria Heim
WEAVER called the meeting to order at 0900 hours in the Old City Hangar.
A. OLD BUSINESS:
1. FINANCIAL REPORT:
- Financial status as of 31 Aug 07 was presented to and accepted by the staff. Statement is attached. (WEAVER-INFO)
Cash Available: $23,419.56
CY 07 Income: $16,766.00
2. CURATOR’S UPDATE (WHALEN):
- Received authorization from NMAF for DRMO turn-in.
- Awaiting pickup by the 302nd AW.
PAVE PAWS TRAINER:
- No change.
- Received and at “home” in the Operations Building.
- Minor work still pending.
- Minor work still pending.
- Working with AMARC (at DMAFB)
- Part has been ID’d
- Awaiting removal, packing and shipping to PAFB.
- Foundation has received monies from USAA Insurance for painting & labor cost for repair work.
- Two HP PC, monitors, and printers purchased by the Foundation.
- For use in Curatorial Storage and Library.
- Working to get Internet connection-will take sometime (need new land line).
- Updated to comply with Privacy Act Requirements.
PK MPT UPDATE:
- Boeing has agreed to a donation in kind to assemble of the MPT.
- Work scheduled for 5-9 Nov 07.
- Will need Museum Volunteers to help.
- Current LCC will need to come down.
- The 21SW has purchased 300 folding seats to use at the Museum activities.
- Will be stored in the Operations Building.
ELMER GETS SOME HELP:
- The 40/50s pressure suit (AKA Elmer) will be shipped to the NMAF for conservation work.
- Suit will be returned to PAFB after the work.
- Will be moved and placed between the two Canadian AC for restoration work.
KUDOs TO ALL:
-There is so many people to thank I (WHALEN) can’t begin to do so.
-This has been a very busy three months with many activities, many visitors, and numerous DVs.
- We received Many, Many accolades…thank you all!
3. ARTIFACTS, ACCESSIONS & NEWLETTER (SWALLEY):
- Still working to update inventory listing and separate Pete Museum/NMAF artifacts.
4. VOLUNTEER SUPPORT (WEAVER):
As of Aug 2007
- Visitors 1,201
- Total to date: 10,403
- Total Volunteers on Rolls 65
5. WEBSITE (SMALLEY):
- Recently added EB-57/TB-57 poster to AD Exhibit.
- Should have completed RC/EC 121 poster for AD Exhibit.
6. BLACK GANG (WEAVER):
- Built four more exhibit stands.
- Painted the old artifacts room and Terminal Building’s down staircase.
- Established work area for model building activities (CAWOOD).
- Established small break room/meeting area.
7. DOCENT PROGRAM (GRIER):
- Very busy three months.
- 280 plus people last Saturday.
- KUDOs to all for their help and gift shop sales.
8. RESEARCH LIBRARY (J.NEWMAN):
- Sorting of materials continues.
- Need some help to confirm items ID’d for removal.
9. MODEL CONSERVATION ACTIVITIES (GALBREATH)
- MGS Model completed and placed in new display case in the Missile Warning Exhibit.
- KUDOs to TERRY.
10. NEW MODEL CONTRUCTION (CAWOOD):
- Eaglerock model about 60 percent completed.
- Model displayed for Volunteers viewing.
B. NEW BUSINESS:
1. BULLET AIRCRAFT CONSTRUCTION:
- Friends of GALBREATH continue their construction of a BULLET AIRCRAFT.
- AC maybe flown into PAFB and placed on display on the Museum Grounds.
- Putting together a two group to work on the Ceremony.
2. PR ACTIVITIES:
- Another item appeared in this week Space Observer.
-- Item freatured Ann Foster.
- Museum also appeared in the AF 60th Anniversery Issue (Distribution to all four PAFB, SAFB, USAFA and Ft Carson) area military newspapers.
3. SICKNESS & HEALTH:
- McKINNEY’s knee surgery went well and he should be home today.
C. NEXT MEETING: 0900hrs, 26 Oct 2007, Old City Hangar.
EDWARD W. WEAVER