SUBJECT: Peterson Air & Space Museum Volunteers Staff Meeting, 2 December 04
ATTENDEES: George M. Douglas, Maj Gen USAF (Ret) Chairman of the Board; Mike Drennan, Brig Gen USAF (Ret) President; Al Strait, 21SW Director of Staff; Ed Weaver, CMSgt USAF (Ret) Secretary/Treasurer; Mike McCorkle, DAFC Museum Staff; Jeff Nash, DAFC, Museum Staff; Jack McKinney, CMSgt USAF (Ret); Ernie Newman, CMSgt USAF (Ret); John Cawood, Lt Col USAF (Ret); Charlie McCarthy, Col USAF (Ret); Erv Smalley, SMSgt USAF (Ret); Joan Sell, Member, Board of Directors, Jerry Kovack, Lt Col USAF (Ret), Larry Flynn, Col USAF (Ret), Danny O'Connell, CMSgt USAF (Ret); Lt Col USAF (Ret); Anna Foster Capt USAF (Ret); Terry Galbreath, Maj USAF (Ret); Scott Lee, CMSgt USAF (Ret); Parks S. Deming, Member-Board of Directors; Jim Palmer, Col USAF (Ret)
Meeting was called to order by President DRENNAN at 1300 hours in the Old City Hangar.
A. OLD BUSINESS:
1. FINANCIAL REPORT: Financial status as of 30 Nov 04 was presented to and accepted by the staff. Foundation continues to suffer a negative cash flow. Statement is attached. (WEAVER-INFO)
Cash Available: 10,740
CY 04 Income: 19,445
CY 04 Expenditures: 26,446
2. ARTIFACTS & VOL COORDINATOR:
Visitors 498 289
Vols working this month 34
Volunteer Hours 569
Total Vols on Roll 76 76
Accessions 54 67
3. GIFT SHOP: October sales were 630, November sales were 392 dollars. (WEAVER-INFO)
4. DIRECTOR'S UPDATE (MC CORKLE):
P-47N RESTORATION: Working on the cockpit and additional decals. CAWOOD presented one of four 50 Cal Ammo main frame (made out of wood) constructed and donated by his brother.
HAWK MISSILES AND LAUNCHER: Contractor has completed painting and the launcher has been return. Decals are incorrect and some minor touch up painting is required. Contractor will complete items 7 Dec 04. May have located two missing fins for one of the Missiles. AFSPC/HO (Scott Writz) is assisting.
EC-121T RESTORATION: Curtains for the windows have been complete-need to be installed, looking for chest packs to include a Gibson Girl radio. (CAWOOD-INFO)
HVAC TERMINAL BUILDING: Building will be closed 7 Dec 04 to prepare for the contractor. Work should start 13 Dec 04.
OLD CITY HANGAR UPGRADES: Contractor started work on 30 Nov 04 installing ducting for the HVAC system. Hangar is closed to visitors but we will be able to work inside during most of the construction.
MEDAL OF HONOR GROVE UPGRADES: 21SW has funded and awarded contract 14 Oct 04. Completion date is Feb 05 (weather delay extension is Jul 05). Project includes funds to complete the AirPark. The BOMARC missile will have to be relocated. Location needs to be determined. Work has not started.
5. EXHIBIT CONSTRUCTION:
AIR DEFENSE EXHIBIT: Nothing new to report (Upgrades in Hangar under way) (MCKINNEY-INFO)
ICBM EXHIBIT: Display walls completed. Electrical work in the LCC under way. (WEAVER-INFO)
CMOC EXHIBIT: One Display wall completed. WEAVER-INFO)
MISSILE WARNING/SURVEILLANCE: All display walls now complete. VELA satellite moved into the display area, stand has been painted, and interior lights repaired. Still looking for artifacts (Al Strait asked to talk with Flynn after the meeting. (FLYNN-INFO)
6. MARKETING: Fifty Five Three tiles (Twenty Two since last meeting) (PAVERS) have been sold. The Board's Fund Raising Committee had their first meeting. As a result, 300 letters have been prepared for Gen Douglas and Drennan signatures to solicit membership and tile sales. (SELL-INFO)
7. SPECIAL EVENTS: Need to form a working group to begin planning for the 10 Jun 05 "Wild Hair Party" fund raising event. (P-47 Dedication). Dedication ceremony will be in the Hangar but the dinner has been moved to the Officer's Club to allow more people to attend the dinner. (SELL)
8. PUBLIC AFFAIRS: EC-121T article is the week's Wing Newspaper. Recovered a number of early pictures of the P-47N's restoration effort in 1969 accomplished at Stewart AFB NY. Provided a draft copy made by Multi Media of a "Wide Hair" decal for the P-47N. (E.NEWMAN-INFO)
9. DOCENT PROGRAM: All shifts are now covered for the Museum. DRENNAN thanked O'CONNELL for all his work and the work of the Docents. Docent "Pass on Book" has been completed.
10. WEBMASTER: Over 24,000 hits to date. Two Thousand hits since October 04. SMALLEY encouraged any one with ideas for information on the site to contact him. (SMALLEY-INFO)
11. MEMBERSHIP: PALMER reported 54 Life members, 14 annuals or family, 36 Volunteer annual (More than 40 volunteer hours this year) on the membership rolls. O'CONNELL is our newest Life Member. (PALMER-INFO)
B. NEW BUSINESS:
1. CURATOR POSITION: STRAIT reported the announcement has been closed. He is awaiting a complete list of individuals from AFPC. (INFO)
2. ENCAPLSUATION PROJECT: FOSTER indicated she is working with the Pioneer Museum to work out some details prior to starting a major Museum encapsulation project in January 2005. DRENNAN asked WEAVER and FOSTER to work out details for a visit to the Pioneer Museum by our volunteers. (ACTION: WEAVER-FOSTER)
3. RADAR EQUIPMENT: MC KINNEY was contacted by RADOMES about the possibility of locating some LRR equipment at an old Radar Squadron site in CA. A planned walk thru (of individuals that own the land) of the old site is scheduled on 10 December to determine what is still inside the site's building. (INFO-MCKINNEY)
4. THANK YOU!!: On behalf of Brig Gen WEBBER and his own observations, Mr. STRAIT thanked ALL the Volunteers for their hard work and accomplishments during the year 2004 (see Foundation Newsletter, dated December 2004). DRENNAN also added his personal thanks. (INFO)
5. FAIRWELL TO MIKE MC CORKLE: DRENNAN acknowledged and thanked Mike MC CORKLE for his two years of service (Retiring 31 December 04) with the Museum Staff. Mr. Strait read and presented letters of thanks from Brig Gen Webber to both Mike and Patty MC CORKLE, the Museum staff presented a gift and the Foundation presented a tile to honor his service. A Retirement/Christmas party followed and was well attended. (INFO)
C. NEXT MEETING: 0900hrs, 28 January 2005 in the Old City Hangar.
EDWARD W. WEAVER
CMSGT USAF (Ret)