SUBJECT: Peterson Air & Space Museum Volunteers Staff Meeting, 21 May 04
ATTENDEES: Jerry "Mike" Drennan, Brig Gen USAF (Ret), President, Ed Weaver, CMSgt USAF (Ret) Secretary/Treasurer, Dr Mary Elizabeth Ruwell, Museum Director, Elizabeth Edwards, Jack McKinney, CMSgt USAF (Ret), Ernie Newman, CMSgt USAF (Ret), Joan Sell, Board of Directors, Frank Wisneski, Col USAF (Ret), Chuck Beall, Lt Col USAF (Ret), John Cawood, Lt Col USAF (Ret), Ann Foster, Capt USAF (Ret), Charlie McCarthy, Col USAF (Ret), Bob DeMarco, Bob Emmons, Col USAF (Ret), Danny O'Connell, CMSgt USAF (Ret), S. Parks Deming, Board of Directors, Jane Newman, Jim Palmer, Col USAF (Ret), Jerry Kovach, Lt Col USAF (Ret), Scott Lee, CMSgt USAF (Ret), MSgt Jerry Edward, 50 SW, Terry Galbreath, USAF (Ret)
Meeting was called to order by President Drennan at 0900 hours in the Old City Hangar.
A. OLD BUSINESS: Financial status as of 30 Apr 04 was presented to and accepted by the staff. Statement is attached. (WEAVER-INFO)
Cash Available: 18,411
CY 04 Income: 6,117
CY 03 Expenditures: 4,768
1. ARTIFACTS & VOL COORDINATOR:
Vols working this month 48
Volunteer Hours 960
Total Vols on Roll 79
AF Museum has directed an update of the Museum's inventory. Good progress under way in the artifacts room. Will need help from the Black Gang to complete Hangar, Terminal, and Air Park. MC CARTHY will take over a number of duties from departing ELIZ EDWARDS. A number of other duties (EDWARDS) will be realigned.
2. GIFT SHOP: The Gift Shop will be inventoried and new stock will be order for the summer months next Tuesday. (WEAVER-INFO)
3. CUATOR'S UPDATE:
BOEING EXHIBIT: Reception held the evening of 11 May 04. BOEING donated about 144 books to the museum for sale in the gift shop. Exhibit will be removed 7 June and moved to the Phil Long Expo Center. Dr RUWELL is looking for volunteers to man a Museum display at the Expo Center. Anyone interested should contact her.
F-106 DROP TANKS: The AF Museum approved drop tanks for the F-106 and the F-102. WEAVER will work out a plan to obtain items. (WEAVER-ACTION)
F-101B & F-104A: Planning on discussing concerns with AF Museum.
EQUIPMENT TURN-IN: No new information.
P-47N RESTORATION: Bill EMERY, 144 FIW, will visit Museum in early June to inspect the aircraft in preparation for paint scheduled for 1 Aug 04. Mike MC CORKLE is scheduled for surgery in June, however it is not believed his restricted duty will delay painting schedules of both the P-47N and EB-57E.
5.MARKETING: Tiles were presented to the staff. Price is 100 dollars for one, 75 for a second, or 350 for tile and Life Membership. SELL and RUWELL will meet with 21 CES Wednesday to determine site location for the tiles. (SELL-INFO)
6. AIR DEFENSE EXHIBIT: AD Timeline completed by Multi Media (MCKINNEY-INFO)
7. MEMBERSHIP: Three new member this month. (PALMER-INFO)
8. SPECIAL EVENTS: Sunset in the Park now confirmed for 25 Sep 04. Working group has been ID'd and we will use same action plan as last year. Event will be coupled to the 50th Year in Space Celebration. Major fund raiser for Jun 2005 will be part of the P-47N dedication ceremony. (WEAVER-INFO)
9. PUBLIC AFFAIRS: "Tar Fly" tape will air on the Adelphia Channel 17 during the month of May, completed the first video for the Air Defense Exhibit and a number of other projects. (E.NEWMAN-INFO)
10. DOCENT PROGRAM: Draft Operating Plan almost completed. Plan is written to allow the Museum to grow into the plan with a number of duties being realigned. Primary functions to be preformed will be Tours, Outreach, Gift Shop, Training, and Protocol. DRENNAN thanked DE CARO and O'CONNELL for their work. (DECARO/OCONNELL-INFO)
11. CMCOC EXHIBIT: Dr Bob JONES (40 yrs with NORAD/AD Plans) and Dr Tom FULLER (NORAD/HO) have joined the working group. EMMONS asked for assistance to arrange a CM tour for the group. RUWELL recommended the group visit the Museum's Exhibit in the Hill Building. Target to complete timeline is 1 Sep 04. EMMONS-INFO)
12. EXHIBIT CONSTRUCTION: J. NEWMAN reported on two new displays. A "You are here" display case will be constructed for the entry way in the Terminal Building and the second is a WW II aircraft recognition display depicting items (Aircraft) built by school children. J. NEWMAN-INFO
B. NEW BUSINESS:
1. HVAC: RUWELL will meet with 21CES Wednesday to discuss the donation of an HVAC system for the Terminal Building. She was also tasked by Col YANKEE to contact AFSPC/HO to determine procedures to accomplish transfer of the donated equipment. RUWELL-ACTION
DRENNAN recognized Jane & Ernie NEWMAN for their recent award by the National Daughters of the American Revolution citing their outstanding volunteer work with the Pete Museum.
DRENNAN recognized Jerry and Elizabeth EDWARDS for their outstanding support to the Pete Museum. Luncheon followed and Elizabeth EDWARDS awarded an Honorary Life Member of the Museum. Jerry EDWARDS will retired 1 July 04 in the Hangar. Details to follow.
D. NEXT MEETING: 0900hrs, 25 June 04 in the Old City Hangar.
EDWARD W. WEAVER
CMSGT USAF (Ret)