SUBJECT: Peterson Air & Space Museum Volunteers Staff Meeting, 30 April 04
ATTENDEES: Jerry "Mike" Drennan, Brig Gen USAF (Ret), President, Ed Weaver, CMSgt USAF (Ret) Secretary/Treasurer, Dr Mary Elizabeth Ruwell, Museum Director, Col Yankee, 21SW/DS, Elizabeth Edwards, Mike McCorkle, Assistant Director, Jack McKinney, CMSgt USAF (Ret), Ernie Newman, CMSgt USAF (Ret), Frank Stampf, Col USAF (Ret), Erv Smalley, SMSgt USAF (Ret), Joan Sell, Frank Wisneski, Col USAF (Ret), Chuck Beall, Lt Col USAF (Ret), John Cawood, Lt Col USAF (Ret), Ann Foster, Capt USAF (Ret), Bob Koenig, Col USAF (Ret), Frank Stampf, Col USAF (Ret), Charlie McCarthy, Col USAF (Ret), Bob DeMarco, Dave Turley, SES-2 (Ret), Bob Emmons, Col USAF (Ret)
A. Meeting was called to order by President Drennan at 0900 hours in the Old City Hangar. New volunteers were introduced.
B. OLD BUSINESS: Financial status as of 31 Mar 04 was presented to and accepted by the staff. Statement is attached. (WEAVER-INFO)
Cash Available: 17,417
CY 04 Income: 4,554
CY 03 Expenditures: 3,864
1. ARTIFACTS & VOL COORDINATOR:
Vols working this month 39
Volunteer Hours 9112
Total Vols on Roll 77
2. Gift Shop: John GREIER has taken a leave of absence to work with the British Museum. We are looking for someone to fill in under his return. (WEAVER-INFO)
3. CUATOR'S UPDATE:
AFSPC MUSEUM CONFERENCE: AF Museum will develop a Space & Missile Exhibit, New audit procedures developed by the AF Museum; drop tanks for the F-106 will need to be approved by the AF Museum. (RUWELL-INFO)
BOEING EXHIBIT: Display set up is 3 May 04. Still need volunteers for "Hangar duty." (RUWELL)
F-101B & F-104A: No new information.
EQUIPMENT TURN-IN: No new information.
4. ASSISTANt CURATOR'S REPORT: New tires for the P-47N, Aircraft will have to be painted outside the Hangar (BIO restrictions), found a number of parts for the cockpit (500 dollars authorized to buy items), recent issue of "WarBirds" had an article about our aircraft with pictures while assigned to the PR ANG to include nose art (we will use the PR ANG colors versus the PA ANG), sheet medal parts have to be manufactured-Goodrich Corp (by the Airport) has volunteered to help us. EB-57E will be painted by the VT ANG during the first week in Sept 04. Volunteers are already sanding the aircraft that should save one week of TDY. (MCCORKLE-INFO)
5.MARKETING: Tiles should be ready for the Boeing Exhibit Ceremony the evening of the 11 May 04 and available at the 21 May 04 Staff Meeting. Price will be $100, second one $75 or $350 for life membership and two tiles ($375 value). (SELL-INFO)
6. AIR DEFENSE EXHIBIT: Display case now have electricity, AD Timeline will be completed Monday and should be lit by the 11 May Boeing Ceremony, the first video of Air Defenders is complete. (MCKINNEY-INFO)
7. WEB SITE: 14,229 number of hits to date. Eight new items posted in April 04. (SMALLEY-INFO)
8. ICBM EXHIBIT: Draft floor for the exhibit drafted by GRAY and presented to the group for review and comments. (WEAVER-INFO)
9. SPECIAL EVENTS: Sunset in the Park now confirmed for 25 Sep 04. Working group has been ID'd and we will use same action plan as last year. Event will be coupled to the 50th Year in Space Celebration. Major fund raiser for Jun 2006 will be part of the P-47N dedication ceremony. (STAMPF-INFO)
10. PUBLIC AFFAIRS: "Tar Fly" tape will air on the Adelphia Channel 17 during the month of May, working on the first video for the Air Defense Exhibit and a number of other projects. (E.NEWMAN-INFO)
11. DOCENT PROGRAM: Three individuals have been ID'd to establish a long overdue DOCENT program for the Museum. MCCARTHY, O'CONNELL, and DECARO have undertaken the project. They have met with GRAY and have started work. (MCCARTHY/DECARO-INFO)
12. CMCOC EXHIBIT: Working group has had two meeting. They have established an objective statement and will start work on a Timeline at their next meeting. They have asked Dr Bob SMITH to join their team. (EMMONS-INFO)
C. NEW BUSINESS:
1. ICELAND REUNION: Reunion has been confirmed with a tour/evening dinner at the Museum on 14 May 2005. They expect 245 for the evening event which will include a donation and presentation of a plaque to the Museum. (MCKINNEY-INFO)
2. OTHER REUNION: Two other reunions at the Museum are under review. 64FIS and the EC-121 Groups are considering Colorado Springs for their next reunion locations. (WEAVER-CAWOOD-INFO)
3. ADC REUNION: Looking to put together a working group to organize and ADC Reunion during the 06 or 07 years. (WEAVER-INFO)
D. NEXT MEETING: 0900hrs, 21 May 04 in the Old City Hangar.
EDWARD W. WEAVER
CMSGT USAF (Ret)