SUBJECT: Peterson Air & Space Museum Volunteers Staff Meeting, 30 Jul 04
ATTENDEES: Ron Gray, Brig Gen USAF (Ret), Vice President, Ed Weaver, CMSgt USAF (Ret) Secretary/Treasurer, Mike McCorkle, Museum Director, Jack McKinney, CMSgt USAF (Ret), Ernie Newman, CMSgt USAF (Ret), Frank Wisneski, Col USAF (Ret), John Cawood, Lt Col USAF (Ret), Ann Foster, Capt USAF (Ret), Charlie McCarthy, Col USAF (Ret), Bob DeMarco, Bob Emmons, Col USAF (Ret), Danny O'Connell, CMSgt USAF (Ret), Jane Newman, Jim Palmer, Col USAF (Ret), Dave Austin, CMSgt USAF (Ret), Mat Royal, MSgt USAFR, 50 SWg, Erv Smalley, SMSgt USAF (Ret), Frank Stampf, Col USAF (Ret)
Meeting was called to order by Vice President Gray at 0900 hours in the Old City Hangar.
A. OLD BUSINESS:
1. FINANCIAL REPORT: Financial status as of 30 Jun 04 was presented to and accepted by the staff. Statement is attached. (WEAVER-INFO)
Cash Available: 16,844
CY 04 Income: 9,185
CY 04 Expenditures: 9,063
2. ARTIFACTS & VOL COORDINATOR:
Vols working this month 35
Volunteer Hours 929
Total Vols on Roll 80
Inventory of the Museum's artifacts (AF Museum directed) is almost complete. Still need to visit exhibits in the Hartinger, HQs NORAD and Cheyenne Mountain AFS Tech Buildings. Inventory requires the 21SW/CC signature and report of action taken on unaccounted for items. MCKINNEY asked volunteers to please submit their monthly hours to him by the third working day of the new month.
3. GIFT SHOP: June sales were 1,350 dollars. July sales will exceed that number. Inventory has been upgraded and expanded. (WEAVER-INFO)
4. DIRECTOR'S UPDATE (McCORKLE):
P-47N RESTORATION: Aircraft has been moved outside the Hangar and parked in front of the Operations Bldg. Painting will begin 2 Aug 04 by the Paint Crew from the 144th FIS (ANG) Fresno, CA. If the weather is good, she should be completed by 6 Aug 04. Gen Webber, 21 SW Commander, will visit the Museum 7 Aug 04 to thank the paint crew and the volunteers for there many hours of work.
HAWK MISSILES AND LAUNCHER: We hope to accomplish some restoration work on the launcher and missiles during the 144FIS crew visit.
EC-121T RESTORATION: Ditching ropes and headsets have been installed, blotting board design is complete, and some other interior work continues. (AUSTIN-INFO)
EB-57E RESTORATION: VT ANG crew should arrive 1 Sept 04 to begin painting. All materials have arrived.
5. EXHIBIT CONSTRUCTION:
AIR DEFENSE EXHIBIT: AD Timeline completed and installed in the Backlight frames, should be placed on the Hangar wall shortly. (MCKINNEY-INFO)
ICBM EXHIBIT: Frame work for the Launch Control Center (LCC) is complete (to scale). Materials to enclose the structure have been received. Next step is to clean up the equipment and placed in position. Found an interactive panel (on the internet) that can produce a number of functions that would be found or heard in an LCC. (GRAY-INFO)
CMCOC EXHIBIT: Outstanding support received from the NORAD, NORTHCOM/HO staffs. A number of VHS video tapes and pictures (on CDs) have been made available to the working group. Dates selected for CMCOC tour and provided to Mike Drennan. (EMMONS-INFO)
TERMINAL BUILDING: The "You are Here Sign" for the entrance of the building has been completed and installed. In addition, a "Self Guided Tour Information" handout has been completed and now available at the entrance way. Multi-Media has completed the "School Children Build Model WW II Aircraft for Recognition" display poster. Exhibit should be in place shortly. A WASP exhibit is in the planning stages.
MISSILE WARNING/SURVEILLANCE: A working crew of about five or six individuals with excellent backgrounds has been formed. Available Museum equipment that can be used in the exhibit has been identified. Will need to obtain numerous other artifacts to enhance the exhibit. (FLYNN-INFO)
6. MEMBERSHIP: Membership table will be manned during the Sunset in the Park event. To attract people, we will also give away posters that are excess to our needs. (PALMER-INFO)
7. SPECIAL EVENTS: Sunset in the Park now confirmed for 25 Sep 04. Working group met just prior to this meeting. All is on target for the event. STAMPF-INFO)
8. PUBLIC AFFAIRS: New Museum Orientation Video has been completed-outstanding production by Ernie NEWMAN. Tapes, videos, and films on loan from FE Warren have been edited and copied. (E.NEWMAN-INFO)
9. DOCENT PROGRAM: Operating Plan and training manuals have been completed. First Training session will be 0900hrs, 2 Aug 04 in the Briefing Room.
10. WEBMASTER: Numerous new items have been placed on the site recording the many recent activities within the Museum. Individuals may now use the site to take a virtual tour of the Museum-thank you Erv! (SMALLEY-INFO)
B. NEW BUSINESS:
1. F4/P-38 MODEL: Model (1 to 8 scale-83" wing span) will be placed on display 3 Aug 04 in the Terminal Building. Gen Webber, 21 SW Commander, will accept the model on 7 Aug 04.
D. NEXT MEETING: 0900hrs, 27 August 04 in the Old City Hangar.
EDWARD W. WEAVER
CMSGT USAF (Ret)