PETERSON AIR & SPACE MUSEUM FOUNDATION VOLUNTEER STAFF MEETING 0900 Monday 27 Aug 2018

0900 CALL TO ORDER – 0900 Attendees: Jeff Nash (Deputy DAFC), Glyn Howells, Phyllis Howells, John Brown, Bruce Long, Ron McClelland, Errol Reiner, Dick Burns OLD BUSINESS Management Review July staff meeting minutes reviewed July staff meeting financials reviewed Museum continues to have a 4.8 of 5.0 rating DIRECTOR’S NOTES AUG 2018 BROADMOOR HANGAR I’m working with Civil Engineering to get a breakout of dollars spent specifically for the Broadmoor Hangar. 2016 $24,994 federal dollars spent on buildings 979, 980, 981, 982 (year of the Hail Storm) 2017 $158,756 federal dollars spent on buildings 979, 980, 981, 982 2018 $- — Request for dollars spent pending 23 Jul. 21 SW/CC has allotted $_____ to be spent on flood mitigation for Broadmoor Hangar – Revisions to landscaping around the building, including filling in low areas. – Replacement of north side vestibule which will help prevent infiltration. – Repairs to exterior side of building to close up cracks. POC: Brian Hub 8 Aug. At my meeting with WSA director (Al Strait) we discussed: – Broadmoor Hangar projects being put on Funded Lists – Need for Museum Foundation rep to be at any future meetings — so they also know how to proceed with fundraising that will supplement the USAF’s funding 13 Aug. 21 SW/CC indicated in email to WSA director: – He still wants to pursue Innovation Center concept at the Broadmoor Hangar – Need another meeting with Civil Engineering squadron to see what kind of plan to put in place NOTE: I’m trying to get that meeting scheduled 12-14 Sep or week of 17 Sep. 13 -15 Aug. AFCEC and CE reps met with Museum staff regarding itemized wall-to-wall project list for all of Museum buildings – To be used for 2019 21 SW Funded Project listings. – Include figuring out how to use any $$ allocated to the Museum Foundation through a History Colorado Grant. – Wants us to wait on any submittals for grants until she determines exactly which projects MUST be funded by 21 SW, and which can be “underwritten” by grants to the Museum Foundation. NOTE: change in History Colorado grant reviewers in July – Cynthia Nieb retired, new officer – Meghan Eflin POC: Pam Miller 15 Aug. Broadmoor Hangar and Terminal flooded from previous night rains. CE and AFCEC reps came back to view damage and AFCEC authorized emergency mitigation with Colorado’s state historic preservation office – to allow any emergency repairs with no bureaucratic hold ups. BOTTOM LINE: 21 SW/CC has lined up Civil engineering, Contracting and AFCEC to review the existing Broadmoor Hangar plans, push to construct a Wing Innovation Center here, push to mitigate drainage problems, and determine exactly which parts of the expansion can be funded by 21 SW – then put it on a project for funding and execution. AIRCRAFT RESTORATION Aircraft funded for 2018 include: EB-57 Canberra, F-104 Starfighter, F-86 Sabre, F-89 Scorpion, and F-106 Delta Dagger. Work has started. F-104 Starfighter will be repainted in SE Asian Vietnam colors. The aircraft signage will be replaced with a story board to include information on the combat pilot who flew that aircraft. EB-57 will be repainted to reflect 1976 Bi-Centennial color scheme used by Air Defense Command for the 17th Defense System Evaluation Squadron. TERMINAL BACK DOOR REPLACEMENT Still on order. Hardware has arrived on base, but the wooden and glass door is still on back order. POC: John Coutee SPECIAL EXHIBIT AREA IN CITY HANGAR We are proofing the graphics and text and expect to complete the installation in Sep when I return from TDY. Would like to schedule an evening exhibit opening at the City Hangar – evening reception –in early October. Request Museum Foundation compile a list of guests so we can start working entry access. MEDAL OF HONOR MEMORIAL UPDATE Work request to update the memorial is started. Suggest a Museum Foundation planning committee to work with 21 SW/PA and Protocol and possibly the Air Commando Association (contacted me about TSGT Chapman’s MOH upgrade) for a ceremony – date depends on how quickly we can get the new plaque engraved and installed. COMMEMORATIVE TILES Work request to CE to evaluate method of installation is started. I have new info from Bruce Long (via Costas) about the appropriate silicon adhesive to use and will need to update CE about this when I return from TDY. SAVE THE DATE Volunteer Potluck picnic on Monday, 24 Sep from 11am – 1pm, in the picnic pavilion behind the City Hangar. Sent out a flyer on Monday with details. NEW BUSINESS 1. Kay Pennay is attempting to schedule a Cheyenne Mountain tour for Docents and one guest. Looking at Sep. 2. Discussed having DOCENTS send out copies of the Museum newsletter to friends, etc. once it has been approved/published. 3. TASK. Once published, need Docents to hand out Museum newsletters. 4. Possible tour of Wings of the Rockies. 5. TASK. Gail to provide email to set up time for Docents to show up for group picture. Closing Remarks Adjourn